hbase-user mailing list archives

From Miljan Markovic <miljan.marko...@yoterra.com>
Subject How to manage HConnection instances in long running applications?
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:15:34 GMT
Hi everybody,

I have an application that runs constantly as a service and ocassionaly
talks to hbase. It can have very long periods (day or two) when it doesn't
talk to hbase at all.

What would be the best way to make sure that my application components have
active and available HConnection instance to use in this case? Resource
consumption is not a problem if HConnection iself doesn't accumulate
resources by just sitting idle... My main concern is what happens if
connection to hbase gets lost, or server closes the connection as idle.

Do I have to manually reinitialize the connection in this case, or does
HConnection itself have a reconnect mechanism? Also, how do I detect those
conditions in runtime so I can react to them if I need to?