hbase-user mailing list archives

From Nick Xie <nick.xie.had...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase 6x bigger than raw data
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:12:25 GMT
I'm importing a set of data into HBase. The CSV file contains 82 entries
per line. Starting with 8 byte ID, followed by 16 byte date and the rest
are 80 numbers with 4 bytes each.

The current HBase schema is: ID as row key, date as a 'date' family with
'value' qualifier, the rest is in another family called 'readings' with
'P0', 'P1', 'P2', ... through 'P79' as qualifiers.

I'm testing this on a single node cluster with HBase running in pseudo
distributed mode (no replication, no compression for HBase)...After
importing a CSV file with 150MB of size in HDFS(no replication), I checked
the the table size, and it shows ~900MB which is 6x times larger than it is
in HDFS....

Why there is so large overhead on this? Am I doing anything wrong here?

Thanks,

Nick