hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jürgen Rose <cptma...@googlemail.com>
Subject How large can a hbase table actually grow?
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:57:02 GMT
Hi,

Would there be any reason to split a hbase table into smaller entities,
or can it grow forever (assuming available disk space)?

Background:

We have realtime data (measurements), up to lets say 500,000/s, which
consists essentially of timestamp, value, flags. If we distribute the
values to different tables (for each tag), it would also mean to insert
each of the entries individually, which is a performance killer. If we
insert in bulk it is much faster. The question is, are there any
downsides to having a hbase table with an extreme size?

best regards
Jürgen