hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: larger HFile block size for very wide row?
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2014 20:48:13 GMT
You 1000 columns? Not 1000k = 1m column, I assume.
So you'll have 2MB KVs. That's a bit on the large side.

HBase will "grow" the block to fit the KV into it. It means you have basically one block per
I guess you address these rows via point gets (GET), and do not typically scan through them,

Do you see any performance issues?

-- Lars

 From: Wei Tan <wtan@us.ibm.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:35 PM
Subject: larger HFile block size for very wide row?

Hi, I have a HBase table where each row has ~1000k columns, ~2K each. My
table scan pattern is to use a row key filter but I need to fetch the
whole row (~1000 k) columns back.

Shall I set HFile block size to be larger than the default 64K?

Wei Tan, PhD
Research Staff Member
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center