hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HBase client connection in application server
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2014 18:02:18 GMT
That what we are doing at Salesforce and the reason why I added this API.
Why also create our thread pool, though, since the default one is too small.

I blogged about this here: http://hadoop-hbase.blogspot.com/2011/12/long-running-hbase-clients.html

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: Amit Sela <amits@infolinks.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2014 2:10 AM
Subject: HBase client connection in application server

I need to connect to HBase (0.94.12) from an application server - Jetty
(Felix).

Documentation says the way to go is to get HConnection with
HConnectionManager.createConnection(Configuration) use it to get table,
close table and close connection.
I also see that when creating an HConnection, a batchpool is created (lazy).

Can I use one instance of HConnection to serve all HBase client requests on
the server and close it only when the server goes down ? will it affect
performance ? go stale ? how about regions cache, if new regions are
created, do I need to create a new HConnection ?

I think it might be a good idea to add a detailed explanation about HBase
client management in the manual, maybe some best-practice advice or
something like that.

Thanks,

Amit.