hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Performance between HBaseClient scan and HFileReaderV2
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2014 18:54:55 GMT
We need to fix that entry in the book. It is simply not true. It refers to binary compatibility
(i.e. using the same Java code with newer versions of the HBase jars), which is not an issue
for rolling restarts because all jars are replaced (unless you actually use coprocessors that
reach deeply into HBase).

As far as I know there is no issue performing a rolling restart between 0.92 and 0.94.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org>
To: "user@hbase.apache.org" <user@hbase.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: Performance between HBaseClient scan and HFileReaderV2

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Jerry Lam <chilinglam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to switch to 0.94 but we are using 0.92.1 and we will not
> change until the end of 2014.

There are more major performance improvements between 0.92.1 and 0.94.16.1
releases than I can count on two hands. I think the help we can provide you
since you cannot change software versions the entire year will be quite
limited. 0.94 is a drop-in replacement for 0.92. While you cannot do a
rolling upgrade (see http://hbase.apache.org/upgrading.html#upgrade0.94),
there won't be a data migration step. I'd suggest trying an upgrade from
0.92.1 to 0.94.16.1 in a dev environment to see if it's at all an option
for you. I think we would all recommend this course of action.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)