hbase-user mailing list archives

From Timo Schaepe <t...@timoschaepe.de>
Subject Problems with hbase.hregion.max.filesize
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:22:31 GMT

during the loading of data in our cluster I noticed some strange behavior of some regions,
that I don't understand.

We convert data from a mysql database to HBase. The data is inserted with a put to the specific
HBase table. The row key is a timestamp. I know the problem with timestamp keys, but in our
requirement it works quiet well. The problem is now, that there are some regions, which are
growing and growing.

For example the table on the picture [1]. First, all data was distributed over regions and
node. And now, the data is written into only one region, which is growing and I can see no
splitting at all. Actually the size of the big region is nearly 60 GB.

HBase version is 0.94.11. I cannot understand, why the splitting is not happening. In hbase-site.xml
I limit the hbase.hregion.max.filesize to 2 GB and HBase accepted this value.

	<!--Loaded from hbase-site.xml-->

First mystery: Hannibal shows me the split size is 10 GB (see screenshot).
Second mystery: HBase is not splitting some regions neither at 2 GB nor 10 GB.

Any ideas? Could be the timestamp rowkey cause this problem?

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/lm286xkcpglnj1t/big_region.png
View raw message