hbase-user mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: 3-Hour Periodic Network/CPU/Disk/Latency Spikes
Date Sat, 14 Dec 2013 00:53:48 GMT
Available HBase API allows to compact table's regions independently.
It can be cron job, script or client application which connects to HBase cluster, selects
regions and trigger compaction,
but you have to write this piece of software yourself.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: Patrick Schless [patrick.schless@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 4:36 PM
To: user
Subject: Re: 3-Hour Periodic Network/CPU/Disk/Latency Spikes

Ah, sorry about the attachment (didn't realize they weren't allowed).
Here's the picture I was trying to attach:

It sounds like you're right, Vladimir, about the compaction storm, though I
don't understand why it's about every three hours instead of every day. In
the book [1] I see the suggestion that they be managed manually. I don't
see, however, any advice on what do do after turning auto-compaction off.
Are there best practices around scheduling and monitoring the process?