hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-m...@spaggiari.org>
Subject Re: uneven regions size after region split.
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2013 02:15:41 GMT
Hi Kim,

The regions on the graph are order by size.

When you split a region, let's say from 10gb to 2 x 5gb, doesn't mean the
next writes are going to be balanced between the 2 regions. so at some
point, one should reach again 10gb, and the other one maybe still onlye
9gb. So you will have this time 9gb, 5gb, 5gb.

And so on.

Also, based on the size of the rows, the blocks, etc., HBase might not be
able to split right in the middle of the region. So maybe you will get 6gb
and 4gb instead of 5 and 5.

Now, add some deletes, some compactions, some manual splits, and you will
end with a scenario like the one you sent.