hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Practical Upper Limit on Number of Version Stored?
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 01:10:34 GMT
You really don't want to do this.
Its not what the versioning was meant for and it has a couple of serious flaws.

The biggest flaw... what happens when you want to delete a version? ...

There are other options... depending on your use case and how you use the events.

Truly using versioning beyond versions of the same data.. not a good idea.

On Dec 5, 2013, at 4:47 PM, Shawn Hermans <shawnhermans@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
> I am working on an HBase application where we store user events in an HBase
> table.  The row key is the a user identifier and each column is an event
> identifier.  Most users only have a handful of events (10 or less), but
> some users have a few hundred thousand events or more and this causes
> issues when an HBase client tries to retrieve all those events.
>
> We are looking at different ways of limiting then number events returned.
> One idea is to store each event using its own column qualifier, but
> instead use HBase's versioning capability to store the last 100 to 200
> events. It doesn't seem like we would run into issues with this approach,
> but I want to see if anyone has had any practical experience in this area.
> The advice given in http://hbase.apache.org/book/schema.versions.html is a
> little ambiguous.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn