hbase-user mailing list archives

From Timo Schaepe <t...@timoschaepe.de>
Subject Re: Consistent Backup strategy
Date Mon, 23 Dec 2013 20:03:18 GMT
With consistent I mean it like in the mentioned blog article from Lars. We want to take a backup
of our data in one specific time range, where the data is consistent in that time range.

My thoughts till now:
I want to do a full backup of our data every Saturday. During the week I want to take an incremental
backup every 24 hours. It seems possible to do that with the export tool. For example, I want
to take a (incremental) backup every midnight, I start the export tool five minutes after
midnight with timestamps, where the starttime is 0 (or timestamp of the last backup if it
is an incremental backup = midnight of the day before). Endtime is now - 5 Minutes = midnight.
This data we can backup on a different machine/backup server.

It seems, that the article of Lars meets exactly my requirement, that's why I'm asked, if
it is still up-to-date.

Taking snapshots with the snapshot tool gives me no data to pack on backup server, I guess.

Am 23.12.2013 um 11:12 schrieb Matteo Bertozzi <theo.bertozzi@gmail.com>:

> can you define what "consistent" means to you?
> for example online snapshots are row-consistent, but the snapshot of
> "Region 1" may be taken at time T0 and the snapshot of "Region N" a time T0
> + X seconds
> Matteo
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Timo Schaepe <timo@timoschaepe.de> wrote:
>> Sorry, I forgot to mention. Taking the cluster offline is not an option.
>> We need an consistent backup of an online cluster. Our plan B is to build a
>> second cluster for replication and take offline snapshots from this cluster.
>> bye,
>>        Timo
>> Am 23.12.2013 um 11:02 schrieb Vladimir Rodionov <vrodionov@carrieriq.com
>>> :