hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Tretyakov <itretya...@griddynamics.com>
Subject Region server block cache and memstore size
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2013 09:46:23 GMT

We are using HBase 0.92.1-cdh4.1.1. To import data the only way we use is
bulk load. And our common access pattern is sequential scans of different
parts of the tables.

Since that we are considering to disable block cache by setting
hbase.block.cache.size to zero.
But We've found following in HBase book (

"Do not turn off block cache (You'd do it by setting hbase.block.cache.size
to zero). Currently we do not do well if you do this because the
regionserver will spend all its time loading hfile indices over and over
again. If your working set it such that block cache does you no good, at
least size the block cache such that hfile indices will stay up in the
cache (you can get a rough idea on the size you need by surveying
regionserver UIs; you'll see index block size accounted near the top of the

Another thing we consider to reduce is memstore size by tuning following
options hbase.regionserver.global.memstore.upperLimit and

So, my questions are:

Does it make sense to touch these options in our case?
Is this memory reserved or other processes inside regionserver can use it?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
Ivan Tretyakov

Deployment Engineer