hbase-user mailing list archives

From Sriram Ramachandrasekaran <sri.ram...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase Client Performance Bottleneck in a Single Virtual Machine
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2013 05:52:28 GMT

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM, <Michael.Grundvig@high5games.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the input and things to look at. To respond:
>
> 1) I don't quite understand the question. When we increase threads we are
> not changing the work each thread is doing, just expecting more to be done
> concurrently. The machine we are testing on has effectively 16 cores
> available and is just idling away. The test harness we are using runs the
> same process whether it's using 1 thread or 100.

   [S] I understand the work doesn't change. What I meant was, are these
threads waiting on I/O primarily? I suspect they are since you mentioned
the CPU is idling away. I just wanted to ensure that client doesn't have
any obvious problems.

> 2) We have done 1 to 1 for all of our tests thus far. We started there and
> were planning to back it off once we saw how it worked.
> 3) No, the requests spread very nicely across all the servers. We spent a
> good bit of time designing a key that would distribute almost perfectly
> across the entire cluster and it appears to be working great.
> 4) hbase.regionserver.handler.count is currently set to 600 when I look at
> the master configuration. Is that what you are referencing or should I look
> at something else?

   [S] Yes, that's correct. Can you check what happens to the RPC handler
threads on HMaster when you run these tests - are all the handlers doing
request processing or not is the first thing to check. Again, as mentioned
in the earlier email, if you are closing HTable instances, chances are, you
are creating new connection every time. Please check it out. By the way,
can you tell us how much requests your clients are pumping in, how many
threads and what is the payload size of get and put, so that, it gives more
info for others to help you out.

--
It's just about how deep your longing is!