hbase-user mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: Block cache hit ratio question
Date Sat, 19 Oct 2013 00:04:54 GMT
HBase block cache does not expose any statistics on a per-table basis. This looks like a nice
to have feature in
a next releases. If your load is mostly random reads, than several factors affect the overall
performance:

1. The avg read size / block size ratio. The large ratio - the better block cache hit ration
you will have.
2. Hot data set size.
3 Available RAM for block cache

For example,

Block size = 64K
Avg read size = 1K
Hot data set size = 1GB

You will need 64GB of block cache to cache 100% your random reads.
Usually, for random reads the smaller block size - the better, but you can not decrease block
size w/o additional overhead of bookkeeping
larger number of smaller blocks. Your actual limit is around 16KB.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com