hbase-user mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: HBase load problems
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 17:46:36 GMT
afaik,  your keys are already:
salted_prefix + timestamp

If cardinality of salted_prefix is not than big and it should not be (we use - 256 in our
system) you will have already your rows grouped by
time in HFile blocks, I think you should have pretty pretty good locality of data in a block
cache.
What is the cardinality of salted_prefix? And how many rows to  you ingest per day?

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: Kireet [kireet@feedly.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:56 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: HBase load problems

Sorry for the confusion, I was trying to get at if it would be a large
operation or there would be a large disruption right after increasing
the max region size. It sounds like it wouldn't.

Getting back to the original question, if we do 90%+ of our reads/writes
to very recent data, would it make sense to keep that in a separate
table? It seems like that may keep things more optimized, the block
cache would be more efficient, compactions would run quicker with much
less data on the 'recent data' table and perhaps less often on the
'older data' table(s), etc.