hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBase load problems
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 04:52:16 GMT
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Kireet <kireet@feedly.com> wrote:

> is there a downside to going to larger regions?

Generally we see pluses (See 2.5.6.2 Bigger Regions in
http://hbase.apache.org/book/important_configurations.html for the latest
scripture on the topic).  Downsides would be something like compactions run
longer (coarsely, same overall work, just takes longer to complete a region)

> It looks like merge is a larger operation, so changing the config setting
> would simply cause existing regions to grow to the larger value right?
> Would the way to confirm this be to check compaction rates and also maybe
> the size of store files in hdfs?

I'm not sure I understand the question above Kireet.  You doing merges?
 Yes, you can just change the configs on the cluster and regions will just
grow (will need to rolling restart the cluster to pick up the config.)

Please ask again what you would confirm.

Thanks,
St.Ack
P.S. Feedly-fan here.