hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Coprocessor Increments
Date Sat, 12 Oct 2013 23:04:45 GMT
John,

How are you creating your htable connection?

Assuming that the RO is overloading the post_put() method, are you instantiating a new HTable
connection each time or are you creating a pool at instantiation and then getting a connection
from the pool?

It may be that you're not seeing a deadlock issue in the thread handlers.

Also how fast are you adding rows?

I'm wondering if you're running in to some thread safe issues...

On Oct 11, 2013, at 8:06 PM, John Weatherford <john.weatherford@telescope.tv> wrote:

> OP Here :)
>
> Our current design involves a Region Observer on a table that does increments on a second
table. We took the approach that Michael said and inside the RO, we got a new connection and
everything. We believe this is causing deadlocks for us. Our next attempt is going to be writing
to another row in the same table where we will store the increments. If this doesn't work,
we are going to simply pull the increments out of the RO and do them in the application or
in Flume.

> @Tom Brown
>  I would be very interested to hear more about your solution of aggregating the increments
in another system that is then responsible for updating in Hbase.

> -jW

to update a column in a different row within the same table?

>> Because he is trying to update *row* in a different Region (and potentially in different
RS).

>> Best regards,
>> Vladimir Rodionov
>> Principal Platform Engineer
>> Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com

attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual
or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review,
use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender
and/or Notifications@carrieriq.com and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its
attachments.

purely accidental.
Use at your own risk.