hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <msegel_had...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Spatial data posting in HBase
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 17:51:04 GMT
HBase in Action goes through great depth of showing you how you could implement GIS information
in HBase.

Unfortunately there are issues with Geohash and edge conditions which make it difficult to
use when you're dealing with data on an edge of a quadrant.

A better way would be to create a point (geospatial point object) and store it in a single
column.
(This goes beyond the example of what's in the book. ) And then index the data by tiles.

The downside is that you end up creating a lot more data…

Take a look at some of the stuff Boris Lublinsky published on InfoQ. There are also other
articles on the net….

On Oct 9, 2013, at 1:35 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis.gospodnetic@gmail.com> wrote:

> The point is that there are options (multiple different hammers) if
> HBase support for geospatial is not there or doesn't meet OP's needs.
>
> Otis
> --
> Solr & ElasticSearch Support -- http://sematext.com/
> Performance Monitoring -- http://sematext.com/spm
>

> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Michael Segel
> <msegel_hadoop@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> And Solr has what to do with storing data in HBase?
>>
>> I guess its true… if all you have is a hammer…
>>
>> The point I was raising was that geohash isn't the most efficient way to go when
you look at the problem at a global level…