hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Webster <michael.webs...@bronto.com>
Subject Re: Migrating a table from HBase older version to newer version.
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 03:28:07 GMT
Hi,

I have done a similar migration between clusters using the bulkload
utility.  Look at http://hbase.apache.org/book/arch.bulk.load.html for
setting up a mapreduce job to write hfiles.  Such a job will write the
hfiles according to existing region boundaries on your destination table.
 It would be best to minimize writes to the new cluster as much as
possible, otherwise the region boundaries may change during the bulkload,
it will still work, but the bulkload tool has to recalculate where to put
the hfiles, which isn't that efficient.  You may have trouble with the
incompatibilities in 0.90 vs 0.92 though, I haven't tried a cross version
migration using a MR job, just moving between clusters.

You could also just copy the hfiles to your new cluster (using hftp to
avoid RPC version mistmatches) in a temp directory and use bulkload to copy
them into the hbase tables. This will likely be slower than using a MR job
as the region boundaries between the old cluster and the new one probably
won't line up.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM, hbaseuser hbaseuser <hbaseuser101@gmail.com

--

*Michael Webster*, Software Engineer