hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tom Brown <tombrow...@gmail.com>
Subject How to manage retry failures in the HBase client
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2013 17:34:06 GMT
I have a region-server coprocessor that scans it's portion of a table based
on a request and summarizes the results (designed this way to reduce
network data transfer).

In certain circumstances, the HBase cluster gets a bit overloaded, and a
query will take too long. In that instance, the HBase client will retry the
query (up to N times). When this happens, any other running queries will
often timeout and generate retries as well. This results in the cluster
becoming unresponsive, until I'm able to kill the clients that are retrying
their requests.

I have found the "hbase.client.retries.number" property, but that doesn't
claim to set the number of retries, rather the amount of time between
retries. Is there a different property I can use to set the maximum number
of retries? Or is this property mis-documented?

Thanks in advance!

--Tom