hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tom Brown <tombrow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to manage retry failures in the HBase client
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2013 17:48:31 GMT
I had read that section for those values, but it was unclear (the
hbase.client.retries.number description subtly switches to describe
hbase.client.pause, and I missed that context switch).

If I could make a recommendation as to changing those items descriptions, I
would rearrange it like so:

General client pause value. Used mostly as value to wait before running a
retry of a failed get, region lookup, etc. The actual retry interval is a
rough function based on this setting. At first we retry at this interval
but then with backoff, we pretty quickly reach retrying every ten seconds.
See HConstants#RETRY_BACKOFF for how the backup ramps up.

Default: 100

Maximum retries. Used as maximum for all retryable operations such as the
getting of a cell's value, starting a row update, etc. Change this setting
and hbase.client.pause to suit your workload.

Default: 35

What is the formal way to request a specific documentation change? Do I
need to sign a contributor agreement?