hbase-user mailing list archives

From yonghu <yongyong...@gmail.com>
Subject How to understand the TS of each data version?
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:24:15 GMT

In my understanding, the timestamp of each data version is generated by Put
command. The value of TS is either indicated by user or assigned by HBase
itself. If the TS is generated by HBase, it only records when (the time
point) that data version is generated (Have no meaning to the application).
However, if TS is indicated by user, it may have a specific meaning to
applications. The reason why I want to ask this question is: How can I
correctly understand the meaning of following data? Suppose I have a table
which is used to record the internet speed of different suppliers for
specific users.
For example,

rk       Network:Supplier   Network:speed

Tom   {d:1, c:4}                 {10K:1, 20K:3, 15K:5}

Then I can have following different data information representations:

1. Supplier d have speeds 10K and 20K. Supplier c have 15K.
2. Supplier d have speeds 10K, 20K and 15K. We only insert the supplier c
but has not inserted any speed information.

which one is the right understanding? Anyone knows whether there are any
predefined semantics of TS in HBase?