hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tianying Chang <tich...@ebaysf.com>
Subject RE: deploy saleforce phoenix coprocessor to hbase/lib??
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 18:37:35 GMT
James, thanks for the explain.

So my understanding is the Phoenix wraps around HBase client API to create a  Pheonix table.
Within this wrapper, it will call a "alter table" with the coprocessor when it create a phoenix
table, right?

Also, do we need to restart RS after deploy the jar under hbase/lib? Our customers said it
has to. But I feel it is unnecessary and weird. Can you confirm?

Thanks
Tian-Ying

-----Original Message-----
From: James Taylor [mailto:jtaylor@salesforce.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:40 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: deploy saleforce phoenix coprocessor to hbase/lib??

When a table is created with Phoenix, its HBase table is configured with the Phoenix coprocessors.
We do not specify a jar path, so the Phoenix jar that contains the coprocessor implementation
classes must be on the classpath of the region server.

In addition to coprocessors, Phoenix relies on custom filters which are also in the Phoenix
jar. In theory you could put the jar in HDFS, use the relatively new HBase feature to load
custom filters from HDFS, and issue alter table calls for existing Phoenix HBase tables to
reconfigure the coprocessors. When new Phoenix tables are created, though, they wouldn't have
this jar path.

FYI, we're looking into modifying our install procedure to do the above (see https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix/issues/216),
if folks are interested in contributing.

Thanks,
James

On Sep 10, 2013, at 2:41 PM, Tianying Chang <tichang@ebaysf.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since this is not a hbase system level jar, instead, it is more like user code, should
we deploy it under hbase/lib?  It seems we can use "alter" to add the coprocessor for a particular
user table.  So I can put the jar file any place that is accessible, e.g. hdfs:/myPath?

> My customer said, there is no need to run 'aler' command. Instead, as long as I put the
jar into hbase/lib, then when phoenix client make read call, it will add the the coprocessor
attr into that table being read. It is kind of suspicious. Does the phoenix client call a
"alter" under cover for the client  already?