hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Kintzer <rock...@yahoo.com>
Subject HBase and Hive
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2013 23:33:21 GMT
Hi,

Newbie here.

hbase 0.94.11
hadoop 1.2.1
hive 0.11.0

I've created an HBase table in hbase shell using command:   create 'mytable', 'f'

I've loaded data into that table using a thrift Ruby client.   A table row has a string
key like 'someurl.com:yyyy-mm-dd'.   The column-family 'f' has a variable number of columns/cells
of data that look like:

'f:n'  timestamp=<some timestamp>, value='some JSON',  where n is an integer.

All this data is viewable in hbase shell and via thrift.

I've created a Hive external table pointing to this HBase table with:

create external table hbase_mytable (id string, vals ARRAY<string>)

  STORED BY 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseStorageHandler'
  WITH SERDEPROPERTIES ("hbase.columns.mapping" = ":key,f:vals")

  TBLPROPERTIES ("hbase.table.name" = "mytable");

This succeeds.  However any Hive QL queries against this table return no data.   Even select
count(*) from hbase_mytable return 0 records.

Anyone have a suggestion for me as to what might be missing from my hive installation that
prevents it from seeing the data in the HBase table?

Much appreciated,

Michael