hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HBase - stable versions
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 16:53:41 GMT
I should also explicitly state that we (Salesforce) will stay with 0.94 for the foreseeable
future.

We will continue backport fixes that we need. If those are not acceptable or accepted into
the open source 0.94 branch, they will have to go into an Salesforce internal repository.
I would really like to avoid that (essentially a fork), so I would offer to start having stable
tags, i.e. we keep making changes in 0.94.x, and declare (say) 0.94.12 stable and have 0.94.12.1,
etc, releases (much like what is done in Linux)

We also currently have no resources to port Phoenix over to 0.96 (but if somebody wanted to
step up, that would be greatly appreciated, of course).

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

-- Lars

----- Original Message -----
From: lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org>
To: hbase-dev <dev@hbase.apache.org>; hbase-user <user@hbase.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:30 PM
Subject: HBase - stable versions

With 0.96 being imminent we should start a discussion about continuing support for 0.94.

0.92 became stale pretty soon after 0.94 was released.
The relationship between 0.94 and 0.96 is slightly different, though:

1. 0.92.x could be upgraded to 0.94.x without downtime
2. 0.92 clients and servers are mutually compatible with 0.94 clients and servers
3. the user facing API stayed backward compatible

None of the above is true when moving from 0.94 to 0.96+.
Upgrade from 0.94 to 0.96 will require a one-way upgrade process including downtime, and client
and server need to be upgraded in lockstep.

I would like to have an informal poll about who's using 0.94 and is planning to continue to
use it; and who is planning to upgrade from 0.94 to 0.96.
Should we officially continue support for 0.94? How long?

Thanks.

-- Lars