hbase-user mailing list archives

From Saurabh Yahoo <saurabh...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: experiencing high latency for few reads in HBase
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 23:18:10 GMT
Thanks Kiru,

Scan is not an option for our use cases.  Our read is pretty random.

Any other suggestion to bring down the latency.

Thanks,
Saurabh.

On Aug 28, 2013, at 7:01 PM, Kiru Pakkirisamy <kirupakkirisamy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Saurabh, we are able to 600K rowxcolumns in 400 msec. We have put what was a 40million
row table as 400K rows and columns. We Get about 100 of the rows from this 400K , do quite
a bit of calculations in the coprocessor (almost a group-order by) and return in this time.
> Maybe should consider replacing the MultiGets with Scan with Filter. I like the FuzzyRowFilter
even though you might need to match with exact key. It works only with fixed length key.
> (I do have an issue right now, it is not scaling to multiple clients.)
>
> Regards,
> - kiru
>

> Kiru Pakkirisamy | webcloudtech.wordpress.com
>

> ________________________________

periodic stop-the-world GC pauses (max latencies
>>      latencies you have been observing in the test)
>> 3. Block cache consists of 3 parts (25% young generation, 50% - tenured, 25% - permanent).
Permanent part is for CF with
>> IN_MEMORY = true (you can specify this when you create CF).  Block first stored in
'young gen' space, then gets promoted to 'tenured gen' space
>> (or gets evicted). May be your 'perm gen' space is underutilized? This is exact 25%
of 4GB (1GB). Although HBase LruBlockCache should use all the space allocated for block cache
-
>> there is no guarantee (as usual). If you don have in_memory column families you may
decrease

>> Best regards,
>> Vladimir Rodionov
>> Principal Platform Engineer
>> Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com

mean latency of 10ms. But we are seeing around 20 reads out of 25 million reads having latency
more than 4 seconds. Can anyone provide the insight what we can do to meet below second SLA
for each and every read?

>> We observe the following things -
>>
>> 1. Reads are evenly distributed among 5 nodes.  CPUs remain under 5% utilized.
>>
>> 2. We have 4gb block cache (30% block cache out of 12gb) setup. 3gb block cache got
filled up but around 1gb remained free. There are a large number of cache eviction.

>> Questions to experts -
>>
>> 1. If there are still 1gb of free block cache available, why is hbase evicting the
block from cache?

>> 4. We are seeing memory went up to 10gb three times before dropping sharply to 5gb.
>>
>> Any help is highly appreciable,
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Saurabh.
>>
>> Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any
attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual
or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review,
use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender
and/or Notifications@carrieriq.com and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its
attachments.