hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <mse...@segel.com>
Subject Re: help on key design
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 19:32:23 GMT
Really?

You split the region that is hot. What's to stop all of the keys that the OP wants are still
within the same region?  Not to mention... how do you control which region is on which region
server?

Just food for thought.

If the OP is doing get()s, then he may want to consider taking the hash, truncating it to
4 bytes and prepending it to his key.  This should give him some randomness.

On Jul 31, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Pablo Medina <pablomedina85@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you split that one hot region and then move a half to another region
> server then you will move the half of the load of that hot region server.
> The set of hot keys then will be spread over 2 region servers instead of
> one.
>

> 2013/7/31 Michael Segel <msegel@segel.com>
>
>> 4 regions on 3 servers?
>> I'd say that they were already balanced.
>>
>> The issue is that when they do their get(s) they are hitting one region.
>> So more splits isn't the answer.
>>

>> On Jul 31, 2013, at 12:49 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> From the information Demian provided in the first email:
>>>
>>> bq. a table containing 20 million keys splitted automatically by HBase
>> in 4
>>> regions and balanced in 3 region servers
>>>
>>> I think the number of regions should be increased through (manual)
>>> splitting so that the data is spread more evenly across servers.
>>>
>>> If the Get's are scattered across whole key space, there is some
>>> optimization the client can do. Namely group the Get's by region boundary
>>> and issue multi get per region.
>>>
>>> Please also refer to http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#rowkey.design,
>>> especially 6.3.2.
>>>
>>> Cheers