hbase-user mailing list archives

From Aji Janis <aji1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: When to expand vertically vs. horizontally in Hbase
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 13:42:00 GMT
I have a major typo in the question so I apologize. I meant to say 5
families with 1000+ qualifiers each.

Lets work with an example, (not the greatest example here but still). Lets
say we have a Genre Class like this:

Class HistoryBooks{

 ArrayList<Books> author1;
 ArrayList<Books> author2;
 ArrayList<Books> author3;
 ArrayList<Books> author4;
 ArrayList<Books> author5;

...}

Each author is a column family (lets say we only allow 5 authors per
<T>Book class. Book per author ends up being the qualifier. In this case, I
know I have a max family count but my qualifiers have no upper limit. So is
this scenario a case for tall or wide table? Why? Thank you.