hbase-user mailing list archives

From Aji Janis <aji1...@gmail.com>
Subject When to expand vertically vs. horizontally in Hbase
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 13:32:37 GMT
The section on Rows vs. Columns at
http://hbase.apache.org/book/schema.smackdown.html talks about expanding
horizontally vs. vertically.

Can someone please explain to me when to choose rows vs. columns. The
sections reads, "To be clear, this guideline is in the context is in
extremely wide cases, not in the standard use-case where one needs to store
a few dozen or hundred columns" so if I had 5 column families with 10
qualifiers each, accessed mostly together is this a case for wider or
taller table? Thanks for any help in advance.