hbase-user mailing list archives

From Elliott Clark <ecl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multiple region servers per physical node
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:14:54 GMT
Currently it's very possible to run multiple region servers per
machine.  People who have benchmarked it have even found that it's
faster (there are more wal's being used in addition to the extra
heap).  It's a head-ache to run and administer, but if you have
machines with lots of spindles it's an option.  Though it's not the
recommended way to run HBase so there may be scary edges.

Yes the G1 looks promising if you have a very read heavy workload
(We've been running it for integration tests for about a month or so).
 But until multiple wal's are in HBase (it's going to be a while) some
users might want try other solutions.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you seen this thread ?
> http://search-hadoop.com/m/PhUxhdw5Mz1/otis+g1gc&subj=Re+G1+before+after+GC+time+graph
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Sudarshan Kadambi (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEXIN) <
> skadambi@bloomberg.net> wrote:
>> If someone was contemplating running multiple HBase region servers per
>> node, what would you tell him? I've lots of RAM on my machines and I want
>> HBase to be able to make the most of it. Heaps larger than 12-16G have
>> significant gc penalties. I could try to have a larger cache off-heap, but
>> that feature is considered to be not fully baked in yet (according to
>> people in the know). The option left over is to run multiple region servers
>> per node. What are the downsides to that?
>> Regards,
>> -sudarshan

View raw message