hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Connection reset by peer. Count of bytes read: 0
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 05:23:59 GMT
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Henry Hung <YTHung1@winbond.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm a HBase newbie. Today I start to do stress test using 4 java process
> to load large amount of rows (1 minute = 18,000 rows). After a while, one
> of my region server log got this kind of WARN message:
>
> WARN org.apache.hadoop.ipc.HBaseServer: IPC Server listener on 60020:
> readAndProcess threw exception java.io.IOException: Connection reset by
> peer. Count of bytes read: 0
>
> Question:
>
> 1.      What is the meaning of this WARN message?

This is pretty good on the 'Connection reset by peer':
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1434451/what-does-connection-reset-by-peer-mean

The message is from our internal IPC/RPC listener thread.  It is trying to
read a query from the client but the client gave up on us before we could
read anything (0 bytes).

> 2.      I haven't check the data integrity, but is there any chance of
> data loss when encounter this WARN message?

Client side we'll retry up to a configurable amount of times.  If we do not
succeed, if the client fails to write, you will see an exception in  your
application complaining that this is the case.

> Additional info:
> For this stress test, I have 10 servers (with each server having region
> server and data node).
> Only one server has that WARN message.

Would suggest you add data validation to assuage any concerns you have
about data loss.

St.Ack