hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Using separator/delimiter in HBase rowkey?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2013 16:25:46 GMT
Where is murmur?

In your app?
So then every app that wants to fetch that row must now use murmur.

Added to Hadoop/HBase?
Then when you do upgrades you have to make sure that the package is still in your class path.
Note that different vendor's release management will mean YMMV as to what happens to your
class paths and set up or if the jar gets blown out of the directory.

Is the added cost in maintenance worth it?

I don't know but I seriously doubt it.

On Jul 8, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Mike Axiak <mike@axiak.net> wrote:

> I just don't understand.. every creation/interpretation of the key is
> going to require code to be used. The murmur implementation is with
> that code. How is there any extra burden?
>
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Michael Segel
> <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> You will need to put the jar into either every app that runs, or you will need to
put it on every node. Every upgrade, you will need to make sure its still in your class path.

>> More work for the admins. So how much faster is it over MD5? MD5 and SHA-1 are part
of the Java libraries that ship w Sun/Oracle so you have them already installed and in your
class path.

>> Just saying... ;-)
>>
>> On Jul 8, 2013, at 10:36 AM, Mike Axiak <mike@axiak.net> wrote:

that's going to be part of your tradeoff.