hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stanislav Barton <stanislav.bar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bulk loading HFiles via LoadIncrementalHFiles fails at a region that is being compacted, a bug?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2013 16:53:47 GMT
Hello Michael,

looking in the code, it seems to me that the 60s is hardcoded, however it retries for, on
default, 10 times, so in total 10 minutes wait time, I upped that to 20 times, so now it is
20 minutes for me, but still, we have some pretty big regions whose compaction (which was
the case in particular) can take more than 40 minutes. I have split the big regions to alleviate
this, so getting a thread dump now will be difficult (this is in production so avoiding the
problems is the point). Anyway, looking on the code, for me its hard to figure out which actions
will block the lock from succeeding on the region at the place I indicated, so was hoping
for an answer from an expert. If the (major) compaction blocks the lock, it might be, that
at unit testing the compactions are faster than 10 minutes so the problem never exhibits.

Stan