hbase-user mailing list archives

From erman pattuk <exp111...@utdallas.edu>
Subject BigSecret: A secure data management framework for Key-Value Stores
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2013 18:28:16 GMT
My name is Erman Pattuk. Together with my advisor Prof. Murat Kantarcioglu, we have developed
an open source tool that enables secure and encrypted outsourcing of Key-Value stores to public
cloud infrastructures. I would like to get feedback from interested users, so that I can improve
and strengthen the project.

When you need to outsource your data to a public cloud, there are potential privacy and security
risks. Especially, if your data consists of highly private information, such as social security
numbers or health records, it should be encrypted prior to outsourcing. However doing so complicates
data processing. Thus, intelligent solutions need to be created that (i) protects the privacy
outsourced data, and (ii) enables efficient processing of the outsourced data.

Our framework, BigSecret, behaves as a middleware between the clients (entities that want
to process queries), and Key-Value stores (may be public or private). It is scalable, in the
sense that multiple independent copies of the application can be executed; and it provides
formally proven security.

Initially, we have implemented BigSecret to support HBase. We have created a simple library
that supports basic operations, such as Put, Get, Delete, Scan, createTable over encrypted
key-value pairs. It's still in its infancy, but we aim to improve it over time, and add support
for multiple Key-Value Store implementations.

You can access:
- Source code:https://github.com/ermanpattuk/BigSecret
- Technical report:http://www.utdallas.edu/~exp111430/techReport.pdf

Our paper has been accepted in the prestigious IEEE Cloud 2013 conference. You can get a copy
of technical report via the above link.

Best Regards,

Erman Pattuk