hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Behavior of Filter.transform() in FilterList?
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:01:04 GMT
It would make sense, but it is not immediately clear how to do so cleanly. We would no longer
be able to call transform at the StoreScanner level (or evaluate the filter multiple times,
or require the filters to maintain their - last - state and only apply transform selectively).

I added transform() a while ago in order to allow a Filter *not* to transform. Before each
we defensively made a copy of the key, just in case a Filter (such as KeyOnlyFilter) would
modify it, now this is a formalized, and the filter is responsible for making a copy only
when needed.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: Christophe Taton <taton@wibidata.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org; lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org>
Sent: Monday, July 1, 2013 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: Behavior of Filter.transform() in FilterList?

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:14 AM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:

You want transform to only be called on filters that are "reached"?
>I.e. FilterA and FilterB, FilterB.transform should not be called if a KV is already filtered
by FilterA?

Yes, that's what I naively expected, at first.

That's not how it works right now, transform is called in a completely different code path
from the actual filtering logic.

Indeed, I just learned that.
I found no documentation of this behavior, did I miss it?
In particular, the javadoc of the workflow of Filter doesn't mention transform() at all.
Would it make sense to apply transform() only if the return code for filterKeyValue() includes
the KeyValue?

C.

-- Lars