hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tony Dean <Tony.D...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Scan performance
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 03:50:02 GMT
I understand more, but have additional questions about the internals...

So, in this example I have 6000 rows X 40 columns in this table.  In this test my startRow
and stopRow do not narrow the scan criterior therefore all 6000x40 KVs must be included in
the search and thus read from disk and into memory.

The first filter that I used was:
Filter f2 = new SingleColumnValueFilter(cf, qualifier,  CompareFilter.CompareOp.EQUALS, value);

This means that HBase must look for the qualifier column on all 6000 rows.  As you mention
I could add certain columns to a different cf; but unfortunately, in my case there is no such
small set of columns that will need to be compared (filtered on).  I could try to use indexes
so that a complete row key can be calculated from a secondary index in order to perform a
faster search against data in a primary table.  This requires additional tables and maintenance
that I would like to avoid.

I did try a row key filter with regex hoping that it would limit the number of rows that were
read from disk.
Filter f2 = new RowFilter(CompareFilter.CompareOp.EQUAL, new RegexStringComparator(row_regexpr));

My row keys are something like: vid,sid,event.  sid is not known at query time so I can use
a regex similar to: vid,.*,Logon where Logon is the event that I am looking for in a particular
visit.  In my test data this should have narrowed the scan to 1 row X 40 columns.  The best
I could do for start/stop row is: vid,0 and vid,~ respectively.  I guess that is still going
to cause all 6000 rows to be scanned, but the filtering should be more specific with the rowKey
filter.  However, I did not see any performance improvement.  Anything obvious?

Do you have any other ideas to help out with performance when row key is: vid,sid,event and
sid is not known at query time which leaves a gap in the start/stop row?  Too bad regex can't
be used in start/stop row specification.  That's really what I need.

Thanks again.
-Tony