hbase-user mailing list archives

From Anoop John <anoop.hb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possibility of using timestamp as row key in HBase
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:55:56 GMT
You can specify max size to indicate the region split (when a region should
get split) But this size is the size of the HFile. To be precise it is the
size of the biggest HFile under that region. If u specify this size as 10G
and when the region is having a file of size bigger than 10G the region
will get split into 2.  There were some proposal and jira to consider all
the HFiles size sum to decide on the split but it is not yet done.   Means,
the data in the memstore and all wont be considered for the split. I think
ur idea is to keep the data in memory and when the memstore limit reaches
split it into 2 regions and so 2 memstores??

-Anoop-

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Asaf Mesika <asaf.mesika@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > is
> > > not tuned and your flushes are slow.
> > >
> > > If I understand right, flush() need to sort data, build index and
> > sequentially write to disk.. which I think
> > should, if not block, atleast interfere a lot with the thread for
> in-memory
> > write (plus WAL). A drop in write
> > throughput can be expected.
> >
> > I think all those phases of sorting and index building are done per
> insertion of Put to the Memstore, thus the flush only dumps the bytes from
> memory to disk (network). It doesn't interfere with other write happening
> at the same time, since they open a new memstore and directs the write
> there, and asynchronously flush the old memstore to disk. They only if the
> new memstore if filled up very quickly before you finish flushing the first
> one.
> Regarding WAL, it happens before writing to the memstore. They first get an
> ack on writing to the WAL, then write to the memstore and then ack back to
> the client. I don't see any blocking here.

> > > normal
> > > >
> > > Well, as I understand it - you write to n3, to a specific region (say
> > > 10,inf). Once you  pass the max size, it splits into (10,14) and
> > (15,inf).
> > > If now n3 RS has more than the average regions per RS, one region will
> > move
> > > to another RS. It may be (10,14) or (15,inf).
> > >
> > > For example, is it possible to specify the "max size" of split to be
> > equal
> > to Memstore.size
> > so that flush and split (actually just updating range from [10,inf) to
> > [10,14] in .META table,
> > without actual data split) can co-occur?
> >
> > Given this possible, is it even possible to mandatorily indicate the new
> > interval [15, inf) should
> > be mapped to next RS (i.e., not based on # of regions on RS n3).
> >
> Can you explain why specifying a max size of split equaling flush size will
> help your throughput? also, why it will help immediately moving the write
> to another RS? I mean, once (10,inf) if split then (10,14) will not be
> written to anymore, right? (15, inf) will get all writes, in the same RS.
> this can a couple of more times on this RS, until HBase realizes it has too
> many regions on n3 relative to n1 and n2 and thus move some to n1 and n2.
> The write throughput to n3 remains the same until the "hot"/active region
> is moved. splitting in the middle does not hamper write throughput.

> > bit
> > > hash.
> > > >
> > > Why do you need the sequential key approach? Let's say you have a group
> > > data correlated in some way but is scattered in 2-3 RS. You can always
> > > write a coprocessor to run some logic close to the data, and then run
> it
> > > again on the merged data in the client side, right?
> > >
> > > I agree with you on this general idea. Let me think a bit...

In other
> word,
> > for

grow