hbase-user mailing list archives

From Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>
Subject Issues with delete markers
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2013 19:03:10 GMT
Hi,

We are having an issue with the way HBase does handling of deletes. We are
looking to retrieve 300 columns in a row but the row has tens of thousands
of delete markers in it before we span the 300 columns something like this

row  DeleteCol1 Col1  DeleteCol2 Col2 ................... DeleteCol3 Col3

And so on. Therefore, the issue here, being that to retrieve these 300
columns, we need to go through tens of thousands of deletes - sometimes we
get a spurt of these queries and that DDoSes a region server. We are okay
with saying, only return first 300 columns and stop once you encounter, say
5K column delete markers or something.

I wonder if such a construct is provided by HBase or do we need to build
something on top of the RAW scan and handle the delete masking there.

Thanks
Varun