hbase-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Schless <patrick.schl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replication - ports/hosts
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:57:52 GMT
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Patrick Schless <
> patrick.schless@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > Working on setting up HBase replication across a VPN tunnel, and
> following
> > the docs here: [1] (and here: [2]).
> >
> > Two questions, regarding firewall allowances required:
> > 1) The docs say that the zookeeper clusters must be able to reach each
> > other. I don't see any docs on why this is (the high-level diagram
> doesn't
> > even show a ZK ensemble on the client side). Is it correct that the ZK
> > ensembles need to communicate with each other?
> >

> Yes.  ZK ensemble is the gateway to the cluster whether connecting locally
> or remotely as replication does.

Cool, makes sense. Is there a way to restrict the foreign connections
(connections from the other cluster, whether master or slave) to be
read-only?

> > 2) What ports are required to be open for inter-cluster Region Server
> > communication? Is it only the slave that needs to accept requests from
> the
> > master, or does the master also accept incoming requests from the slaves?
> >

> Do you mean master 'cluster' in the above?  If so, yes, the master cluster
> sends data to the slave cluster (master RS to slave RSs).  The
> communication is one way; master to slave cluster.
>
> If you are asking if hbase masters need to communicate, the answer is no.

I should have been more clear, but yes, I was using 'master' to refer to
the cluster, not the HMaster. Sounds like I only need firewall allowances
on the region servers in the slave cluster (and slave ZK ensemble). I'll
give that a shot.

Thanks for the info.

- Patrick