hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: RPC Replication Compression
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 23:34:10 GMT
On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org>wrote:

> Replication doesn't need to know about compression at the RPC level so
> it won't refer to it and as far as I can tell you need to set
> compression only on the master cluster and the slave will figure it
> out.
>
> Looking at the code tho, I'm not sure it works the same way it used to
> work before everything went protobuf. I would give 2 internets to
> whoever tests 0.95.1 with RPC compression turned on and compares
> results with non-compressed RPC. See
> http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#rpc.configs

What are you looking for JD?  Faster replication or just less network used?

Looks like we have not had the ability to do compressed rpc before (We
almost did,  the original rpc compression attempt almost got committed to
trunk -- see HBASE-5355 and the referenced follow-on issue -- but was put
aside after the pb stuff went in).

St.Ack