hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Replication - ports/hosts
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2013 05:41:47 GMT
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Patrick Schless <patrick.schless@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Working on setting up HBase replication across a VPN tunnel, and following
> the docs here: [1] (and here: [2]).
> Two questions, regarding firewall allowances required:
> 1) The docs say that the zookeeper clusters must be able to reach each
> other. I don't see any docs on why this is (the high-level diagram doesn't
> even show a ZK ensemble on the client side). Is it correct that the ZK
> ensembles need to communicate with each other?
Yes.  ZK ensemble is the gateway to the cluster whether connecting locally
or remotely as replication does.

> 2) What ports are required to be open for inter-cluster Region Server
> communication? Is it only the slave that needs to accept requests from the
> master, or does the master also accept incoming requests from the slaves?

Do you mean master 'cluster' in the above?  If so, yes, the master cluster
sends data to the slave cluster (master RS to slave RSs).  The
communication is one way; master to slave cluster.

If you are asking if hbase masters need to communicate, the answer is no.

P.S. Doug, we need to add above to doc