hbase-user mailing list archives

From Pankaj Misra <pankaj.mi...@impetus.co.in>
Subject HBase Availability - Mean Time to Failure & Recovery Time
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:19:17 GMT
Hi,

We are using 0.94.6.1 version of HBase and are planning for high availability testing. While
the entire scheme to enable the cluster to be highly available is clear, I wanted to get some
idea about HBase Service lifetime in terms of Mean-Time to Failure and Time of Recovery in
cases of failure. Any historic evidences will also help, as it will be vital for us to calculate
the actual availability of the system across an year.

While I understand that HBase provides more of active/passive mode of seamless high availability
of Masters, but any failure, will impact the performance to some extent and this calculation
will help in deriving the actual number of nodes that we should consider without compromising
on the performance as well, while the system is available.

The article below from HBase wiki indicates that the Master switching takes a couple of seconds
to happen but I think the volume of data, replay logs and the region availability will also
play a key role in order to make the switch complete, and hence would request guidance around
the complete mechanism and recovery time.

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/MultipleMasters

Any ideas/facts would be very helpful .

Thanks & Regards
Pankaj Misra