hbase-user mailing list archives

From Dhaval Shah <prince_mithi...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Re: Writing unit tests against HBase
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:39:15 GMT
Why don't you spin up a mini cluster for your tests (there is a MiniHBaseCluster which brings
up an in-memory cluster for testing and you can tear it down at the end of your test)? The
benefit you get is that you no longer need to mock HBase responses and you will be talking
to an actual cluster running similar code to the one you will have running in prod, so will
be more reliable. Obviously the downside is that instead of mocking responses, you will have
to populate data in HBase tables but I still feel this is more intuitive and reliable.

Regards,
Dhaval

________________________________
From: Adam Phelps <amp@opendns.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Monday, 24 June 2013 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: Writing unit tests against HBase

On 6/18/13 4:22 PM, Stack wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Varun Sharma <varun@pinterest.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I wanted to write to write a unit test against HTable/HBase, is there an
>> already available utility to that for unit testing my application logic.
>>
>> I don't want to write code that either touches production or requires me to
>> mock an HTable. I am looking for a test htable object which behaves pretty
>> close to a real HTable.
>>

> Would this help if we included it?
> https://github.com/kijiproject/fake-hbase/

I figured I'd take a look as I was about to try using Mockito
(https://code.google.com/p/mockito/) to try to implement unit testing of
some of our code that accesses HBase.  The example tests in there are
all Scala, and I'm not having much success using them in Java.  Do you
know if there's any example Java tests that make use of fake-hbase?

- Adam