hbase-user mailing list archives

From Rahul Ravindran <rahu...@yahoo.com>
Subject Downside of too many HFiles
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:14:34 GMT
Hello,
I am trying to understand the downsides of having a large number of hfiles by having a large hbase.hstore.compactionThreshold

  This delays major compaction. However, the amount of data that needs to be read and re-written
as a single hfile during major compaction will remain the same unless we have large number
of deletes or expired rows

I understand the random reads will be affected since each hfile may be a candidate for the
row, but is there any other downside I am missing?

~Rahul.