hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Agarwal, Saurabh " <saurabh.agar...@citi.com>
Subject RE: What happens when you add new HBase nodes to a cluster?
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 18:43:34 GMT
That is what my experience is. When we add nodes, the regions get rebalanced across the old
and new nodes......

-----Original Message-----
From: jeremy p [mailto:athomewithagroovebox@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:26 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: What happens when you add new HBase nodes to a cluster?

Hey all,

We're wanting to add 10 additional nodes to our 20-node HBase cluster.  Our tables are pre-split
into 800 regions, 40 regions to a machine.  What will happen when we add 10 new nodes to the
cluster?  Will the HBase load balancer automatically re-distribute these regions to the new
nodes?  If so, will we have 26 regions on some machines and 27 on others?

Thanks!

--Jeremy