hbase-user mailing list archives

From Rishabh Agrawal <rishabh.agra...@impetus.co.in>
Subject RE: Doubt Regading HLogs
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 11:27:06 GMT
Thanks Nicolas,

When will  this file be finalized. Is it time bound? Or it will be always be zero for last
one (even if it contains the data)

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicolas Liochon [mailto:nkeywal@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 4:39 PM
To: user
Subject: Re: Doubt Regading HLogs

That's HDFS.

When a file is currently written, the size is not known, as the write is in progress. So the
namenode reports a size of zero (more exactly, it does not take into account the hdfs block
beeing written when it calculates the size). When you read, you go to the datanode owning
the data, so you see the real content as it is at the time of reading.

btw, why do you want to read the HLog?

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Rishabh Agrawal < rishabh.agrawal@impetus.co.in> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> I am working with Hlogs of Hbase and I have this doubt that HDFS shows
> size of last log file as zero. But when I open it I see data in it.
> When I add extra data a new file with zero size is created and
> previous HLog file gets its size.  This thing applies to each region
> server.  Following is the purged screen shot of same:
>

> I have set following parameters in hbase-site.xml for logs:
>
> <property>
>
>     <name>hbase.regionserver.logroll.period</name>
>
>     <value>3600000</value>
>
> </property>
>
> <property>
>
>    <name>hbase.master.logcleaner.ttl</name>
>
>    <value>604800000</value>
>
>     </property>
>
> <property>
>
>    <name>hbase.regionserver.optionallogflushinterval</name>
>
>    <value>3000</value>
>
> </property>
>

> I plan to read log files for some validation work, Please guide me
> through this behavior of Hbase.
>

> Thanks and Regards
>
> Rishabh Agrawal
>
> Software Engineer
>
> Impetus Infotech (India) Pvt. Ltd.
>
> (O) +91.731.426.9300 x4526
>
> (M) +91.812.026.2722
>
> www.impetus.com

> destroy and notify the sender. Any use of this email is prohibited
> when received in error. Impetus does not represent, warrant and/or
> guarantee, that the integrity of this communication has been
> maintained nor that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.

or interference.