hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-m...@spaggiari.org>
Subject Re: Export / Import and table splits
Date Tue, 07 May 2013 23:02:40 GMT
@Mohammad: The end goal is really more regarding the splits more than
the model. So I don't think Lars' options are good for this usecase.
@Mike: I agree that things were not configured correctly. User should
have had split the table before doing the import. I like the idea of
looking at the files to get the regions boundaries. That way you don't
need to have the source_table still there...

So we have 2 different things here.
1) a command on the shell to duplicate a table structure
2) an option on the import command to split the table regions based on
the files names.

If we agree on that I will open one JIRA for each...

2013/5/7 Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>:
> Silly question...
> If you're doing a simple export, then you end up with all of your prior regions as separate
files in a directory, right?
> So in theory, you could find the first row and the last complete row of each file and
then do your pre-splits based on the start key and end key that you find.
> That would be your tool so to speak.
> But to the point that reading back in these files will cause you to crash your RS and
> That doesn't sound like its well tuned or right.
> -Mike
> On May 7, 2013, at 5:29 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am not aware of a tool which can pre-split table using another table's
>> region boundaries as template.
>> Such a tool would be nice to have.
>> Cheers
>> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-marc@spaggiari.org
>>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> When we are doing an export, we are only exporting the data. Then when
>>> we are importing that back, we need to make sure the table is
>>> pre-splitted correctly else we might hotspot some servers.
>>> If you simply export then import without pre-splitting at all, you
>>> will most probably brought some servers down because they will be
>>> overwhelmed with splits and compactions.
>>> Do we have any tool to pre-split a table the same way another table is
>>> already pre-splitted?
>>> Something like
>>> Which will create a new table called 'target_table' with exactly the
>>> same parameters as 'source_table' and the same regions boundaries?
>>> If we don't have, will it be useful to have one?
>>> Or event something like:
>>> JM

View raw message