hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Keller <brya...@gmail.com>
Subject Poor HBase map-reduce scan performance
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 04:01:57 GMT
I have been attempting to speed up my HBase map-reduce scans for a while now. I have tried
just about everything without much luck. I'm running out of ideas and was hoping for some
suggestions. This is HBase 0.94.2 and Hadoop 2.0.0 (CDH4.2.1).

The table I'm scanning:
20 mil rows
Hundreds of columns/row
Column keys can be 30-40 bytes
Column values are generally not large, 1k would be on the large side
250 regions
Snappy compression
8gb region size
512mb memstore flush
128k block size
700gb of data on HDFS

My cluster has 8 datanodes which are also regionservers. Each has 8 cores (16 HT), 64gb RAM,
and 2 SSDs. The network is 10gbit. I have a separate machine acting as namenode, HMaster,
and zookeeper (single instance). I have disk local reads turned on.

I'm seeing around 5 gbit/sec on average network IO. Each disk is getting 400mb/sec read IO.
Theoretically I could get 400mb/sec * 16 = 6.4gb/sec.

Using Hadoop's TestDFSIO tool, I'm seeing around 1.4gb/sec read speed. Not really that great
compared to the theoretical I/O. However this is far better than I am seeing with HBase map-reduce
scans of my table.

I have a simple no-op map-only job (using TableInputFormat) that scans the table and does
nothing with data. This takes 45 minutes. That's about 260mb/sec read speed. This is over
5x slower than straight HDFS.  Basically, with HBase I'm seeing read performance of my 16
SSD cluster performing nearly 35% slower than a single SSD.

Here are some things I have changed to no avail:
Scan caching values
HDFS block sizes
HBase block sizes
Region file sizes
Memory settings
GC settings
Number of mappers/node
Compressed vs not compressed

One thing I notice is that the regionserver is using quite a bit of CPU during the map reduce
job. When dumping the jstack of the process, it seems like it is usually in some type of memory
allocation or decompression routine which didn't seem abnormal.

I can't seem to pinpoint the bottleneck. CPU use by the regionserver is high but not maxed
out. Disk I/O and network I/O are low, IO wait is low. I'm on the verge of just writing the
dataset out to sequence files once a day for scan purposes. Is that what others are doing?