hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Poor HBase map-reduce scan performance
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 05:01:34 GMT
Your average row is 35k so scanner caching would not make a huge difference, although I would
have expected some improvements by setting it to 10 or 50 since you have a wide 10ge pipe.

I assume your table is split sufficiently to touch all RegionServer... Do you see the same
load/IO on all region servers?

A bunch of scan improvements went into HBase since 0.94.2.
I blogged about some of these changes here: http://hadoop-hbase.blogspot.com/2012/12/hbase-profiling.html

In your case - since you have many columns, each of which carry the rowkey - you might benefit
a lot from HBASE-7279.

In the end HBase *is* slower than straight HDFS for full scans. How could it not be?
So I would start by looking at HDFS first. Make sure Nagle's is disbaled in both HBase and
HDFS.

And lastly SSDs are somewhat new territory for HBase. Maybe Andy Purtell is listening, I think
he did some tests with HBase on SSDs.
With rotating media you typically see an improvement with compression. With SSDs the added
CPU needed for decompression might outweigh the benefits.

At the risk of starting a larger discussion here, I would posit that HBase's LSM based design,
which trades random IO with sequential IO, might be a bit more questionable on SSDs.

If you can, it would be nice to run a profiler against one of the RegionServers (or maybe
do it with the single RS setup) and see where it is bottlenecked.
(And if you send me a sample program to generate some data - not 700g, though :) - I'll try
to do a bit of profiling during the next days as my day job permits, but I do not have any
machines with SSDs).

-- Lars