hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-m...@spaggiari.org>
Subject Re: What are the appropriate steps before performing hardware maintenance?
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:36:51 GMT
Moving to scm-users@cloudera.org then (hbase in BCC).

Hi Dan,

The best way to know how to achieve this with Cloudera Manager is to
ask on the scm-users list.

I'm net yet enough used to CM to reply to your question so I will let
someone else confirm.

JMS

2013/4/25 Dan Crosta <dan@magnetic.com>:
> Sorry, I should have mentioned before -- we are using CDH 4.2, which does not package
the graceful_stop script. Do you happen to know if there's a way to do this through the CDH
manager? Perhaps the "decommission" action does something similar? My impression is that "decommission"
is more heavy-handed, but if that's the most convenient route, that'll work for us.

> Thanks,
> - Dan
>
> On Apr 25, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> You might want to take a look at bin/graceful_stop.sh . It will move
>> all the regions hosted by your RS to other RS before stopping it
>> gracefuly. After the maintenance, simply start the RS/DN back and it
>> will be added back to the cluster. Loadbalancer will then assign some
>> regions back to him. You will loose some data locality for the regions
>> wich are going to be moved.
>>
>> JM
>>
>> 2013/4/25 Dan Crosta <dan@magnetic.com>:
>>> We have to perform maintenance on one of our HDFS DataNode/HBase Regionserver
machines for a few hours. What are the right steps to take before doing the maintenance in
order to ensure limited  impact to the cluster and (thrift) clients of the cluster, both for
HDFS and HBase?

>>> After the maintenance, are there any special steps required to add the node back
to the cluster, or can we simply restart the services and HDFS/HBase take care of the rest?